Monday, May 16, 2011

Boozy Baking

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a bit of a klutz in the kitchen, so spilling a little wine in the sauce isn't totally out of the question, but aside from jello shooters I'd never really given booze in food much thought until I was researching cake in a jar recipes and stumbled across this whisky cake. From the moment I laid eyes on that tempting creation I knew that this was in idea that required further investigation.

It all makes perfect sense, really. A key ingredient in most baked goods is pure vanilla extract, which is nothing more than deliciously flavored alcohol. Although it smells like heaven, it doesn't taste great on it's own, but the flavor is oh so wonderful when baked in a batter of gooey goodness.

The Boozy Baker: 75 Recipes for Spirited Sweets

Now, I knew that my sister would be all over this idea too, (because she's great cook and caters most of our family gatherings, -not because she's a lush), so I was kind of giddy when I found The Boozy Baker cookbook just in time for Mother's Day. I wrapped it up pretty with a bow and paired it with a fancy bottle of vodka. She LOVED it! The book is loaded with mouthwatering recipes for spirited sweets, some of which even include recipe for drinks that compliment the dessert recipes perfectly. Brilliant! (I am a sucker for recipe ideas that make me look awesome.) As we thumbed through the pages together, the full-color photos and flavor combinations were enough to make our heads spin, but the Dirty Girl Scout recipe near the back of the book inspired an emergency shopping list and a quick trip to the liquor store. YUM!

Desserts made with alcohol are best served a day or two after baking, so they make lovely make-ahead additions to the menu at any grown-up get together such as a bachelor/bachelorette party or wedding, but you don't really need a special ocassion to bake with booze! A romantic dinner for two or a movie night at home with the girls is reason enough to celebrate with a cocktail cake.

Cheers. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment